Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Stuff You Should Know

I am obsessed.

I love love love the Stuff You Should Know podcast.  This is not the first podcast I ever loved, I do have to admit, but I'm so glad I stumbled upon it!  The hosts are Josh Clark and Chuck Bryant.  These two guys take a topic and talk about it for 25-45 minutes. They get most of their information from articles written by their colleagues at the Discovery channel, or themselves.

I listen to these podcasts while I'm at home with my little dude during the day.  It gets a little lonely being a stay at home mama, because you can't just tote your baby around all day and go from activity to activity (which is what I thought it would be like before I was a mom). First of all, babies sleep a LOT during the day or sometimes not...either way this keeps you stuck at home.  If he's sleeping I'm home, if he's not sleeping or won't sleep he is probably very irritable and no one wants that in a public place...even Chick-Fil-A don't want that.  Secondly, babies eat... a LOT.  Right now I'm nursing 3 times a day and feeding Kai at least 3 times a day.  And he eats slowly.  It is nice to have people to listen to while I'm sitting feeding him, or while I'm letting him explore.  Do I wish I could converse with Josh and Chuckers during these times? Most definitely.  But I'll settle for them teaching me about the Cold War, sharks, narco states, ninja (which is plural...it's not ninjas.) etc, etc, etc.

This show is also great to listen to in the car!  I had over an hour long commute last year, and while I listened to a lot of music, podcasts certainly kept me highly entertained.  If you are a newbie, I would suggest starting with RadioLab.  But make sure you get a nice long one (about an hour)  those are the best and they do a lot to produce them and make them entertaining.  SYSK is very funny and informative but is not quite as produced with music and effects.  

Other podcasts I may blog about in the future...(Get excited!!)

Radio Lab
Dave Ramsey
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
This American Life

2 comments:

  1. I know RadioLab is more produced, but Stuff You Should Know is way better. Josh and the Chuck-meister are just more entertaining people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is your husband by the way!

      Delete